Delhi Capitals vs Chennai Super Kings :
Delhi Capitals won the match against Chennai Super Kings.
It was the first match of 14th tournament for both, Delhi Capitals and Chennai Super Kings. Captain of Delhi Capitals, Rishabh Pant won the toss and gave the chance to Chennai Super Kings to bat first. Fans of Chennai Super Kings had bated breath in the starting only because both of the openers of Chennai Super Kings were lost for only 7 runs.
Performance of three players i.e. Suresh Raina, Moeen Ali and Sam Curran was invigorating for the team and the total score was 188/7 in 20 overs. Chris Woakes and Avesh Khan were able to pick two wickets each in the first innings. DC openers Prithvi Shaw and Shikhar Dhawan, both have shown extremely great performance by adding 138 runs for the first wicket.
Brilliant half – centuries made by Prithvi Shaw and Shikhar Dhawan helped DC to achieve victory. Prithvi Shaw’s performance was extremely exiting with 72 runs in 38 balls, including nine boundaries and 3 maximums. Shikhar Dhawan smashed 85 runs off 54 balls, including 10 boundaries and 2 maximums. DC gun down the target of 189 runs in 18.4 overs and won the game by 7 wickets.
Important stats and numbers related to first match of IPL 2021 are:
- Suresh Raina scored his 39th half-century in the IPL and now he has reached the joint-third spot in terms of maximum fifties in IPL.
- It happened for the fourth time that Dhoni got out on duck in IPL, last time such a situation occur in IPL 2015
- MS Dhoni fell for a naught only in two balls in the match. He bagged a duck in T20 matches after a gap of of 108 innings.
- Prithvi Shaw and Shikhar Dhawan were able to share the partnership of 138 runs for the first wicket in the match and this became the third-highest opening partnership for Delhi Capitals in their IPL history.
- The partnership of Dhawan and Shaw was also proved second-highest partnership for any wicket against Chennai Super Kings in the IPL.
- The last time Chennai Super Kings lost their first game of the season in IPL 2013 when they were defeated by Mumbai Indians in the first match.
- Shikhar Dhawan’s performance was extremely hilarious as he hit 10 fours in today’s innings, and now achieved the record of smashing 601 fours in his IPL career. He has now become the first player in IPL history to complete 600 fours in the tournament.